[openssl-project] Release strategy updates & other policies

Tim Hudson tjh at cryptsoft.com
Tue Sep 25 12:56:39 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 10:37 PM Matt Caswell <matt at openssl.org> wrote:

> - Added some new macros:
> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/6037

No we didn't change our public API for this one - we changed *internals*.
The change to include/openssl/crypto.h was entirely changing *comments* to
document that the internals used more of a reserved space - but the API
wasn't changed.

And it isn't a matter of what we did for each item - it is a matter of
could we have fixed certainly things that we would classify as *bugs*
without impacting the API - we didn't have that as a rule - but if we did
then what would we have done.
And where we missed an API then it is not a PATCH. Where we got something
that wasn't spelled correctly - it has to wait for a MINOR to be fixed. A
patch doesn't change APIs.

Tim.