[openssl-project] Release strategy updates & other policies

Tim Hudson tjh at cryptsoft.com
Tue Sep 25 13:09:31 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 11:02 PM Matt Caswell <matt at openssl.org> wrote:

> You're right on this one. I misread the diff.

Not a problem - you are doing the look-at-what-we-did and how it would be
impacted - and that is certainly what we should be doing - working through
what impact this would have had.
Semantic versioning is a major change in behaviour with a focus on the API
being directly reflected in the versioning scheme.

It does mean that a lot of how we have handled things in the past in terms
of what was okay to go into a patch release changes.
Patch release become* pure bug fix *with no API changes (of any form)
releases and that is very different.
We have taken a relatively flexible interpretation - and put in a lot more
than bug fixes into the letter (patch) releases - we have added upwards
compatible API additions.

It would also mean our LTS releases are MAJOR.MINOR - as the PATCH is the
fixes we will apply - so it isn't part of the LTS designation as such.
e.g. 5.0.x would be the marker - not 5.0.0 - so 5.0 in shorthand form.

Tim.