[openssl-project] Point compression config

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Thu Jan 24 14:36:06 UTC 2019

Issue 8067 points out that we have code for enabling the configuration of the ec
point formats:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/8067

However, while the code exists, it is not exposed in any public API - so it is
effectively dead code. I suppose in 1.0.2 it could have been used by diving
directly into the non-opaque structs to set custom values (even though it is
undocumented). From 1.1.0 that is no longer possible.

I can't think of a good reason for why anyone would want to do this (the
explanation given by the OP in 8067 isn't convincing), so I'm tempted to just
rip out this code. Before I do that though: is there a good reason for wanting
to be able to do this?