[openssl-project] inline functions

Dr Paul Dale paul.dale at oracle.com
Sun Jan 27 13:23:46 UTC 2019

Yes, those are the problematic cases.  I think that making the symbols weak is “good enough” for the moment.  Longer term, we could do with a better solution.  Moving the implementations into another file is one option.  There is another longer term alternative: migrate OpenSSL away from lhash and safestack by introducing new internal functionality that replaces them.  We can’t remove either in case users user them but we could stop using them ourselves.

Lhash is based on a clever hash table that dynamically resizes (both increasing and decreasing) and amortises the rehashing costs over time.  If the OpenSSL source code is looked through, there are relatively few removals from the hash table.  I.e. the size decrease isn’t used much, if at all.  Likewise, the rehashing checks one bit in the hash for each item and moves it into one of two lists based based on the result.  I.e. rehashing should be a fast operation and amortising it doesn’t feel like a win.  On the down side, lhash runs with a fairly high level of loading (many entries relative to table size) and its collision resolution is a linked list (i.e. O(n) worst case instead of O(1)).  There have also been improvements in hash technology since the lhash algorithm was created — cache coherent algorithms and lock free ones spring to mind.

Safestack isn’t a stack anymore.  It is used as a vector, an array substitute, a queue and more.  I don’t think I’ve seen it used as a stack but it probably is.  We should have separate data structures for the different uses, each optimised for its specific usage.

This would be a long path (and I’m hijacking this thread a bit), but it is something I’ve been wanting to do for a while now.

Pauli
--
Dr Paul Dale | Cryptographer | Network Security & Encryption
Phone +61 7 3031 7217