punycode licensing

Tim Hudson tjh at openssl.org
Wed Jul 10 01:15:02 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 1:58 AM Salz, Rich <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the update. This brings to mind a few additional questions:
>
> 1. Does other code which is copyright/licensed under the Apache 2 license
also require CLAs?
See points 1-3 of previous email. CLAs are required for anything
non-trivial.

> 2. Does other code which is in the public domain also require CLAs?
See points 1-3 of previous email. CLAs are required for anything
non-trivial.

> 3. Does OpenSSL expect that anyone using OpenSSL and bundling it with
Apache 2 software must first ask the project for permission?

That is an entirely separate question and all the project states is the
license under which we offer the software.
That question can be more broadly worded as "Does OpenSSL expect that
anyone using OpenSSL must first ask the project for permission?"

The license under which the OpenSSL software is provided does not require
"permission" to be sought for use of the software.
See https://www.openssl.org/source/apache-license-2.0.txt

So in short the answer is "no" because the software is under a license that
doesn't require permission to be sought for its use.

> 4. Assuming #1 is yes and #3 is no, can you explain why there is a
difference?

Because 1 and 2 are about *contributing *code that the project then offers
under a license, whereas 3 is about *using* the produced code under its
license.
They are completely different contexts (one in-bound, one out-bound).
And they are completely different entities (1&2 are about requirements
the *project
*places on contributions, and 3 is about requirements the license places on
*users* of the software).

Tim.