OSSL_PARAMs

Dr Paul Dale paul.dale at oracle.com
Wed Jun 5 01:11:57 UTC 2019

For a minimally invasive change, the various OSSL_PARAM_construct_ calls could be modified to allocate space for the parameter and its return size if NULL is passed for either.
There would need to be some indication of this and a cleanup array call.

Done properly, this would permit the same efficiency on the owner’s side but would also simplify OSSL_PARAM array creation for those who aren’t as concerned.
The theoretical const array of OSSL_PARAM would still be possible.

Is this workable or should something more significantly different be used before things freeze with the 3.0 release?

Pauli
--
Dr Paul Dale | Cryptographer | Network Security & Encryption
Phone +61 7 3031 7217

> On 5 Jun 2019, at 10:50 am, Dr Paul Dale <paul.dale at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> I thought the references were to allow const arrays of OSSL_PARAM to be viable.
>
> A quick check through the code reveals these in test and doc only.  There are two instances of OSSL_PARAM arrays being declared in evp, both add the pointed to variable after creation, both only have two elements (the integer and the terminator) and both are stack allocated.  I.e. there is currently is no example of the use case for which the indirection is present :(
>

> Pauli
> --
> Dr Paul Dale | Cryptographer | Network Security & Encryption
> Phone +61 7 3031 7217
> Oracle Australia
>

>> On 5 Jun 2019, at 10:31 am, SHANE LONTIS <shane.lontis at oracle.com <mailto:shane.lontis at oracle.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I presume the reference approach was used to solve the issue of who actually owns/free's the data.
>>

>>> On 5 Jun 2019, at 9:18 am, Dr Paul Dale <paul.dale at oracle.com <mailto:paul.dale at oracle.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Shane’s major complaints are about the indirection the OSSL_PARAM structure forces — for integers and return lengths and the necessity of allocating additional memory in parallel with the OSSL_PARAM.
>>>
>>> The extra indirection was intended to support const arrays of OSSL_PARAM, which turn out to be a rarity because they aren’t thread safe.  With most OSSL_PARAM structure being dynamically created, the need for the indirection seems redundant.  E.g. could the return length be moved into OSSL_PARAM?  I think so.
>>>
>>> Moving integral values into the structure is more difficult because BIGNUMs will always need to be references.  Allocating additional memory will still be required.  I’ve got three obvious solutions:
>>>
>>> 1. include a void * in the OSSL_PARAM structure that needs to be freed when the structure is destroyed or
>>> 2. have a block of data in the OSSL_PARAM structure that can be used for native types (OSSL_UNION_ALIGN works perfectly for this) or