Removing function names from errors (PR 9058)

Roumen Petrov openssl at roumenpetrov.info
Wed Jun 12 16:39:16 UTC 2019

Richard Levitte wrote:
> Many of us, both past and present, have looked at the error reporting
> code and wante to change it somehow.  There's currently a PR, 9058,
> which covers one aspect, the function name indicator.
There is a lot of situation where application logs debug information.
Adding details for openssl errors is very useful to find reason for
failure based only of logs provided by user.

Recently an user report to me that it uses application with openssl
version, a but based on openssl error information I found that its
actual version is a+2 - function code does not exist in (a).  As result
is was more easy to find what could be reason for errors.

 From my point of view current errstr utility is quite useful to find
failed function. Error information could be enhanced. I cannot see
reasons to strip it down.

Regards,
Roumen