Removing function names from errors (PR 9058)

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Thu Jun 13 17:13:14 UTC 2019

>    So basically, what you're actually saying is that we should add
    additional errors up the call stack...  so if some function called
    OPENSSL_zalloc(), it should be perfectly OK to raise a
    ERR_R_MALLOC_FAILURE, but functions above should *add* things like
    WHATEVER_R_KEY_CREATE_FAILURE, etc etc etc, thereby creating that
    backtrace that Tim talks about.

Yes.

BUT AGAIN, that's a separate issue to the main thread of function names in errors. Because, as you point out in the second paragraph (which I did not repost), there are still many issues to resolve with that.