Removing function names from errors (PR 9058)

Matthew Lindner mattlindn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 18:12:01 UTC 2019

Hi I'm a developer that writes code that interfaces with OpenSSL. One
perspective I think that is missing that I haven't seen is that error
codes that point to the exact point in the OpenSSL code that caused an
issue are often needed to debug code that interfaces with OpenSSL.
Importantly because the documentation is often lacking complete
clarity on exactly what any given OpenSSL function does. We (using
openssl 1.0.2) from time to time get errors from within OpenSSL that
need diving into the OpenSSL code to diagnose. If the errors don't
point to the location in the OpenSSL code the error was generated,
this makes it all the harder to diagnose issues.

Thanks,
Matthew