Vote proposal: votes should get discussed first

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Sun May 12 16:03:42 UTC 2019

On 12/05/2019 10:06, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> I would like to propose the following vote:
> All public votes should be discussed on the openssl-project list
> before a vote is called. The minimum time between a proposal
> and calling for a vote is 1 week. If the proposal is changed, the
> 1 week period restarts.

I'm not in favour of this proposal for a few reasons:

1) I think this would actually work as a disincentive towards transparency. It
would work as an incentive to make votes private, because doing so is easier.

2) It unnecessarily slows down the voting process by adding an additional week
on to what can be quite a slow process anyway

3) It acts as a block in decision making in face-2-face scenarios. In our f2f
meetings we typically discuss an issue, formulate a possible vote to implement
some solution to that issue and then hold that vote fairly quickly. Doing things
the way you propose would make that very difficult to do.

Arguably this would require a change to the bylaws since it changes the voting
procedures.