No two reviewers from same company

Tim Hudson tjh at openssl.org
Thu May 23 22:27:36 UTC 2019

We have discussed this at numerous OMC meetings in terms of how to managed
potential *perceived *conflicts of interest that might arise if people
outside of the fellows come from the same company and hence can effectively
turn the OMC review control mechanism into a single control rather than a
dual control.

We discussed tooling changes to make checking this possible given that in
each instance we have had the individuals involved make a commitment to
avoid that situation (through their own actions).
Occasionally that didn't happen and the person "corrected" it when pointed
out.

We haven't formally voted to make such a change - however it is something
that I think we should have in place and I do support.
Making a formal policy change of course will go through our usual decision
making process.

What I was expecting tooling-wise is that the scripts would detect this
situation and advise - at the very least warn - and potentially blocking
things.

The OpenSSL fellows are in a completely different context - the company
they work for is directed by the OMC - so there isn't a separate external
third party source of influence so there is no reasonable mechanism to
*perceive* a potential conflict of interest.

Note - this is all about *perceptions* of a *potential* situation - not
about something we are actually concerned about for the individuals
involved.
However it is prudent to address even the perception of a path for
potential conflicts of interest in my view.

Tim.