AW: [openssl] OpenSSL_1_1_1-stable update

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Fri May 24 14:10:38 UTC 2019

Not sure I see it as picking nits, it's rather about some fundamental
difference in what we thinking we're approving, and how we actually
act around that.

My idea has always been that I approve a code change, i.e. essentially
a patch or a set of patches, without regard for exact branches it ends
up in.  With the in mind, the exact branches it gets applied to is a
*separate* question.

If we go with the idea that an approval also involves approving what
branches it goes to, then what happens if someone realises after some
time that a set of commits (a PR) that was applied to master only
should really also be applied to 1.1.1?  Should the approval process
start over from scratch, i.e. all approvals that went to master should
be scratched and replaced with a new set of approvals (in principle)?
So far, we have never acted that way.

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org