#10388

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Thu Nov 14 14:15:53 UTC 2019

On 14/11/2019 13:43, Salz, Rich wrote:
> *>*I’m more concerned about adding these to 3.0.  It means we’ll have to
> support the new API for a long time and it is one which we are currently
> trying to move away from.
>

> Will you?  Have you already decided that 3.0 is an LTS release?
> Otherwise, you have the LTS burden and when the rest of ENGINE goes
> away, this does as well.

Quoting the release strategy:

"No existing public interface can be removed until its replacement has
been in place in an LTS stable release. The original interface must also
have been documented as deprecated for at least 5 years. A public
interface is any function, structure or macro declared in a public
header file."

So the functions we're talking about don't yet have a replacement -
there will be one in 3.0. So presumably they will be documented as
deprecated in 3.0. So we have to support them for at least 5 years from
the release of 3.0.