Errored: openssl/openssl#31939 (master - 34b1676)

Nicola Tuveri nic.tuv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 13:21:03 UTC 2020

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 at 14:00, Matt Caswell <matt at openssl.org> wrote:

> To be clear the build that is timing out uses *msan* not *asan*.

As I understand it msan detects unitialised reads. whereas asan detects
> memory corruption, buffer overflows, use-after-free bugs, and memory leaks.
>
> The previous "home-made" checks only detected memory leaks, so it is not
> comparable with the functionality offered by msan.

Thanks for the clarification! I was indeed confused!

> The msan documentation
> (https://clang.llvm.org/docs/MemorySanitizer.html) suggests that a slow
> down of 3x is typical.
>
> It seems reasonable to me to disable msan checks in Travis entirely, and
> have them only in run-checker.

I agree with you.

> > Here is another idea that would be interesting if we restore the
> > previous checks:
> > I don't know what kind of options github offers on this, but would it be
> > possible to run triggered CI on something that is not Travis and does
> > not timeout and still have the results in the PR?
>
> I am sure there are hooks to do this. Richard has been talking for quite
> a while about setting up a buildbot infrastructure. If that could be
> integrated into github that would be really neat.

It would be neat indeed, when I first heard about buildbot I tried to set
aside some time to play with it, but failed in finding the time needed!
But at least from what I read it does indeed seem like a very interesting
and useful tool for our purposes!

I have no doubt sooner or later Richard will be more successful than I was
at finding the time to work on this item as well!

Nicola