Legacy Provider

Dr Paul Dale paul.dale at oracle.com
Mon Jan 6 23:57:55 UTC 2020

The refactoring/FIPS work needs the question resolved about loading the legacy provider or not by default.  We’ve been through this before on the project list [1] and in at least one PR [2].

I expect that its resolution will require an OMC vote.

Regardless of the outcome, the current intention is that the low level direct access functions (e.g. IDEA_encrypt) will continue to work (albeit deprecated), only the EVP access will go (again, by default).

Before the vote is called, are there any additional thoughts from the past six months?

Pauli
--
Dr Paul Dale | Distinguished Architect | Cryptographic Foundations
Phone +61 7 3031 7217

[1] https://mta.openssl.org/pipermail/openssl-project/2019-July/001492.html
[2] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/9373