crypt(3)

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Fri Jan 17 10:34:24 UTC 2020

On 17/01/2020 06:31, Dr Paul Dale wrote:
>  1. Leave them public and unchanged — that is, don’t deprecate these two
>     functions yet.
>  2. Deprecate them and add KDFs to replace them.
>  3. Deprecate them, leave them alone and hope they go away painlessly at
>     some point.

2 is really just and extension of 3 - either way we deprecate them. In 2
we additionally provide a replacement.

I definitely think they *should* be deprecated.

Any replacement would necessarily go in the "legacy" provider I think.
If a replacement is not difficult I would favour that. But I could live
with (2).