fips mode and key management

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Tue Jan 21 09:36:47 UTC 2020

This doesn't affect applications.  Our FIPS module holds its own
keys, but reuse the same structures as libcrypto to hold them
internally, and *there*, the EX_DATA field is irrelevant.
Applications will never get that far in.  The EX_DATA added by the
application is still valid.

I think that the misunderstanding lies in when FIPS_MODE is defined.
It's defined when the FIPS provider module is being built, never
otherwise.

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org