API renaming

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Fri Jul 24 07:38:07 UTC 2020

I like the OSSL_ prefix for new APIs as proposed by Richard. And I agree with Shane
that we should go for a single prefix and not have two alternatives. Existing prefixes
for things like feature macros should remain as they are, but if the OSSL_ prefix is
our choice for the future, we should start using it consistently for _all_ new APIs in 3.0.
And not make it a random choice (pun intended) depending on whether the API went
into master early or late. So my favorite choice is a consistent renaming, i.e.

	OSSL_MAC, OSSL_KDF, OSSL_RAND, OSSL_CTX, ...

OTOH, it would be ok for me if we would make an exception for EVP_MAC and EVP_KDF,
because they have a long EVP history, as Matt pointed out. But using the EVP_ prefix
for the new RAND interface never made sense to me.

What bothers me about OPENSSL_CTX in particular is the fact that it is a mixture of
a non-abbreviated and an abbreviated word. IMHO it should be either OSSL_CTX or
OPENSSL_CONTEXT, and the former is obviously preferrable for its length.

Matthias