Backports to 1.1.1 and what is allowed

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Sat Jun 20 16:20:36 UTC 2020

  *   I suggest everyone takes a read through  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_support<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Long-2Dterm-5Fsupport&d=DwMFaQ&c=96ZbZZcaMF4w0F4jpN6LZg&r=4LM0GbR0h9Fvx86FtsKI-w&m=SNuHQ9kgNW2Lqo4sNX7dCRoghtJJEp1yiPmyMrtcqUM&s=Jds2wFhmaSmo880kiJopHMkdst0sZaqK0ob28WTHVTo&e=> as to what LTS is actually meant to be focused on.

For what it’s worth, I think Tim’s comments are spot-on.  An LTS release should not change unless there are serious bugs or new security flaws.

It is tempting to add new hardware support, nor improved performance.  “Hey, everyone will get this in their long-term offering.”  But you’re thinking the wrong way.  Imagine that each new patch to an LTS release requires massive effort, such as changing the firmware on a plane. Does the change justify that?  Almost always, the answer is no.