Backports to 1.1.1 and what is allowed

Nicola Tuveri nic.tuv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 14:33:35 UTC 2020

In light of how the discussion evolved I would say that not only there
is consensus on supporting the definition of a detailed policy on
backports and the definitions of what are the requirements for regular
releases vs LTS releases (other than the longer support timeframe),
but also highlights a need to do it sooner rather than later!

This seems a job for the OMC, as it falls under:

> makes all decisions regarding management and strategic direction of the project; including:
> - business requirements;
> - feature requirements;
> - platform requirements;
> - roadmap requirements and priority;
> - end-of-life decisions;
> - release timing and requirement decisions;

My contribution to the discussion is to ask if the OMC has plans for
addressing this in the very short term.
If working on a policy is going to be a medium-term effort, maybe it
would be opportune to call an OTC vote specific to #11968 under the
current release requirements defined by the OMC (or lack thereof).

We already saw a few comments in favor of evaluating backporting
#11968 as an exception, in light of the supporting arguments, even if
it was in conflict with the current policy understanding or the
upcoming policy formulation.
So if we could swiftly agree on this being an OTC or OMC vote, I would
urge to have a dedicated discussion/vote specific to #11968, while
more detailed policies and definitions are in the process of being
formulated.

- What is the consensus on splitting the 2 discussions?
- If splitting the discussions, is deciding on #11968 an OTC or OMC matter?

Cheers,

Nicola