Alpha1 progress

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Wed Mar 25 16:38:20 UTC 2020

Yesterday a number of us had a teleconference to update our task
tracking for the 3.0 release. The current spreadsheet gives us the
following dates for the various alpha/beta releases:

Alpha1: 2020-04-15
Alpha2: 2020-05-04
Alpha3: 2020-06-10
Beta1:  2020-06-12

Comparing this to the official timeline here:
https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html

Which says:

Alpha1: 2020-03-31
Alpha2: 2020-04-21
Alpha3: 2020-05-21
Beta1: 2020-06-02

Until quite recently we were tracking fairly closely to the target
dates, but the last week or so has seen us drift out a bit. As can be
seen from the above we're about 2 weeks out at the moment. This is
primarily due to the key generation work being more complicated and
significant than we had anticipated.

So, right now, it looks to me like we won't be releasing alpha1 next
week as originally planned.