Unexpected EOF handling

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Thu May 7 11:47:49 UTC 2020

On 07/05/2020 12:22, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> So I think we need at least to agree on:
> - Do we want an option that makes the unexpected EOF either a fatal
>   error or a non-fatal error?
> - Which error should we return?

This is an excellent summary of the current situation.

I am not keen on maintaining the SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL with 0 errno as a
long term solution. It's a very confusing API for new applications to
use. Effectively it means SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL is a fatal error - except
when its not. SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL should mean fatal error.

That said I also recognise that it is apparently commonplace to shut
down a TLS connection without sending close_notify - despite what the
standards may say about it (and TBH we can hardly claim the moral high
ground here since s_server does exactly this - or at least it does in
1.1.1 and did until very recently in master).

But we do have to consider usages beyond HTTPS. I have no idea if this
occurs in other settings or not.

Perhaps what we need is an option for "strict shutdown". With strict
shutdown "off" we could treat EOF as if we had received a close_notify
gracefully (and don't invalidate the session). Presumably existing code
would be able to cope with that???

With strict shutdown "on" we treat it as SSL_ERROR_SSL (as now in master).

I'm not sure though what the default should be.