Unexpected EOF handling

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Thu May 7 13:15:22 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 14:53 +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Thu, May 07, 2020 at 01:46:05PM +0200, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> > From application developer side of view for protocols that do not
> > depend on SSL detecting the truncation I think inventing a
> > different
> > behavior for this condition than the existing one as of 1.1.1f
> > would be
> > clearly wrong. Switching on a SSL_OP if that newly provided OP is a
> > trivial change to an application that needs to accommodate various
> > versions of OpenSSL (and I am not talking about forks), however
> > switching on a SSL_OP and also add another special error case is
> > much
> > more complicated change and has potential for bringing regressions
> > in
> > the applications that need to do it.
>
> Of course, just adding a call to get the old behaviour back is a
> very easy change. But I currently don't see how a different error
> is that much more complicated.
>
> > Is there really another situation where SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL with
> > errno 0
> > could be returned apart from the unclean EOF condition?
> >
> > I can't really think of any.
>
> It's not because we can't think of any other case that there aren't
> any.
>
> I also have a problem with checking errno being 0. We don't set
> errno. There is no reason to assume that errno is set to any
> value. errno can be modified on a succesful call. That errno is 0
> is just a coincidence. If we're going to document that, we should
> actually make sure that that is the case.

Actually the coincidence is that the errno is set to 0 on EOF. So yes,
we should explicitly clear the errno on EOF so any leftover value from
previous calls does not affect this.

> I think the other property of the old behaviour is that we don't
> add anything to the error stack.
>
> > So I would be just for properly documenting the condition and
> > keeping
> > it as is if the SSL_OP to ignore unclean EOF is in effect.
>
> And also don't add an option for applications that do want to get
> a fatal error?

Why another option? That would be the default behavior.

But anyway I like the Matt's proposal even more.

--
Tomáš Mráz
                                              Turkish proverb