Project direction

Dick Franks rwfranks at acm.org
Mon Nov 2 15:51:58 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 10:47, Christian Heinrich <
christian.heinrich at cmlh.id.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 10:45, Dr Paul Dale <paul.dale at oracle.com> wrote:
> > The question was should we design our APIs to ease the pain existing
> > users of OpenSSL or should we be trying to attract new users.
> > The idea being that supporting existing users means not changing the
> > existing API, whereas catering to new users means working towards
> > a new fresh consistent API.
>
> As far as I am aware the competition isn't much better than us ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As a user mainly interested in the libcrypto library component, OpenSSL is
far better than the competition.
However, there are 1189 reasons to think is not perfect.

LibreSSL not only lacks performance but also behind on the functionality
front (no Ed25529, Ed448, SHA3).
Whatever aspirations it may have had at the start have long since
evaporated and it is now a poor relation of OpenSSL 1.1.0

BoringSSL has declared itself not to be a competitor.

> Maybe we should define the problems that new end users experience
> during onboarding instead and address those first?

Better documentation would help enormously.

--RWF