Alpha releases

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Tue Oct 6 15:11:48 UTC 2020

    On 06/10/2020 15:53, Salz, Rich wrote:
    > Is it the project's understanding that Alpha and Beta releases are, in fact, capital-R releases and therefore subject to OMC?
    > That seems weird to me.

    Yes - that is the case at the moment.

Looking at the release strategy [1] it points to the wiki 3.0 schedule page [2] which is says Beta 1 was to be in June; someone should update that.

I think you should have a new vote to change the bylaws [3] to change this line:
	release timing and requirement decisions;
to be
	release timing (not counting internal test releases and such) and requirement decisions;

Finally, was there an OMC vote on the 3.0 release contents, or is it just the 3.0 design [4]?

Thanks.  (Note that this isn't directedly specifically at Matt)

[1]  https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html
[2] https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/OpenSSL_3.0_Release_Schedule
[3] https://www.openssl.org/policies/omc-bylaws.html
[4] https://www.openssl.org/docs/OpenSSL300Design.html