Meaning of no-xxx option

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Sun Oct 18 10:19:36 UTC 2020

I'm afraid your interpretation isn't quite correct.  The no-xxx
options remove the actual code for the thing being disabled, but it
doesn't turn off access to a compatible implementation.  For example,
you could conceptually have an ENGINE with an alternative DSA
implementation that's perfectly usable through the EVP interface
(keys will have to be loaded through that same engine, though),
regardless of any no-dsa configuration.

This is also reflect in the apps.  Yes, the key type specific commands
like 'openssl dsa' are disabled, but that's because in 1.1.1, they use
the lower level APIs and can simply not build at all if the calls they
depend on aren't there.  However, if you look at apps/*pkey*.c, you
will find very few uses of OPENSSL_NO_ macros.  1.1.1 only guards
engine calls with OPENSSL_NO_ENGINE...  master has some OPENSSL_NO_EC
guards, for reasons I'm currently unaware of, I assume some kind of
special case that should really be removed.

So I guess this comes down to what's currently being done, where
commands like 'openssl dsa' starts to use EVP functionality, and
thereby become *more* available than before.  If that's good or bad,
only time will tell...

In summary, the time where no-xxx truly meant that the algorithm xxx
is completely unavailable is long gone.  The addition of ENGINEs
changed that...  not immediately, but as soon as the ENGINE API got
functionality to help implement EVP_PKEY_METHODs and
EVP_PKEY_ASN1_METHODs.

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org