Reordering new API's that have a libctx, propq

Nicola Tuveri nic.tuv at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 08:38:33 UTC 2020

Thanks Tim for the writeup!

I tend to agree with Tim's conclusions in general, but I fear the analysis
here is missing an important premise that could influence the outcome of
our decision.

In most (if not all) cases in our functions, both libctx and propquery are
optional arguments, as we have global defaults for them based on the loaded
config file.
As such, explicitly passing non-NULL libctx and propquery, is likely to be
an exceptional occurrence rather than the norm.

For optional parameters most developers from C and a variety of languages,
would expect them to come at the end of the list of parameters, and this
also follows the rule of thumb of "importance" used by Tim to pick 1) and
B/A).

For this reason I would instead suggest to go with 2) and C) in this case
(with the caveat of keeping callback and its args as the very last
arguments, again this is a non-written convention not only for us but quite
widespread).

Nicola