Tracking important issues

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Wed Sep 23 18:51:28 UTC 2020

Hi,

I would like to have a system so that we can tag issues as
important. But I think they fall in a few categories:
- Features for the next minor/major release (so 3.1 or 4.0)
  that we find important. I've created a new milestone for that:
  https://github.com/openssl/openssl/milestone/18 (Post 3.0.0)

  We've also had a Post 1.1.1 milestone, but that seems to be just
  things that didn't block the 1.1.1 release, maybe some more
  things can be moved over.

  I suggest we do not add all feature requests to the new
  milestone, so that we can have some kind of overview.
- Features we want in before beta 1: The 3.0.0 beta1 milestone
- Bugs that need to get fixed before the 3.0.0 release:
  currently using the 3.0.0 milestone
- Important bugs that affect the stable releases. I've started
  tagging bugs that have "triaged: bug" also with the branches
  that are affected. But that doesn't say how important it is.
  I have 2 proposals for that:
  - Create a milestone for them, like 1.1.1-stable. In cases we
    have multiple supported branches, we can add for instance a
    3.0-stable and use the oldest branches that's a affected
    as the target. This would at least match what we do now
    with the "3.0.0" milestone.
  - Create a label for the severity. I'm not sure we need things
    like "severity: minor", but it might be useful too.

Kurt