[openssl-users] eng_cryptodev question

Chris Eltervoog thevoog at voog.ca
Fri Dec 12 04:03:32 UTC 2014

I have implemented a H/W encryption driver and have integrated it with cryptodev.  In eng_cryptodev.c there is an array digests[].  In that array it defines CRYPTO_MD5 to have a keylen of 16.  In cryptodev, the xform.c file definedes MD5 to have a keylen of 0.    Why is the keylen not zero for the MD5 entry in this table?

Cryptodev also defines the keylen in a structure.  The keylen is zero there.  A comparison happens on session creation.  This difference causes a check in the session creation to fail and cryptodev always selects the s/w crypto engine. If I change the eng_cryptodev digests[] entry for CRYPTO_MD5 to have a keylen of zero the MD5 hashing works, however Key generation output changes.  If you run the openssl test case for key generation it will fail.  It seems that the files generated are smaller. I don't see how this change has this side affect with key generation.

Chris.