[openssl-users] HTTP / HTTPS on same port

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Sat Apr 4 05:30:52 UTC 2015

On 03/04/2015 22:12, Michael Wojcik wrote:
> [...]
Actually, I would code any HTTP request parser to accept
lower case,even if I would code request generators to
issue the standard request keywordsin uppercase only
(as required by the spec).  Basic Postel principle
in action, really.

Additionally the HTTP/1.1 spec (RFC2616) explicitly
allows future method namesto contain any US-ASCII
char except control chars (0x00..0x1F), space (0x20)
and the following separators: "()<>@,;:\\\"/[]?={}",
see RFC2616 section 5.1.1 which references the
definitions of token and CHAR in section 2.2.
In the updated HTTP/1.1 spec (RFC7230 et.seq.),
the equivalent rules are in RFC7230 section 3.1.1
with token and tchar defined in section 3.2.6 .

Another possibility for HTTP and HTTPS on the same
port is to implement RFC2817, which specifies a way
to use a HTTP request to switch a connection to HTTPS.

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.  http://www.wisemo.com