[openssl-users] Disable SSL3 and enable TLS1? / Ambiguous "DES-CBC3-SHA"

David Rueter drueter at assyst.com
Tue Apr 7 15:09:31 UTC 2015

>> You're confusing SSLv3 the protocol, with SSLv3 ciphersuites.
Yes, I admit I am not distinguishing between these.  However, !SSLv3  in the
cipher list does evidently disable the SSLv3 protocol as well--as evidenced
by testing with https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest

Since I don't have source for the application I can only control OpenSSL's
behavior through the cypher list.  I guess I will have to choose between
leaving SSLv3 enabled and breaking Android and IE on XP users (that require
TLSv1).

>From the symptoms, it sure seems like OpenSSL mistakenly uses the string
"DES-CBC3-SHA" to refer to both TLS and SSL3 (see
https://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/ciphers.html )  Is this really
intentional?  In other words, is the SSLv3 cipher
SSL_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA actually the same as the TLS cipher
TLS_RSA_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA?