[openssl-users] OpenSSL 1.0.2 Solaris 32 bit build is broken

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Wed Apr 15 18:40:12 UTC 2015

On 4/15/15 4:59 AM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> Can you try with a different compiler? Is Clang available to you? (If
> not, I can provide you with a script or recipe to build it).
>
> Here's what one person was just saying about Sun's compiler on another
> list. He maintains another crypto-toolkit:
>
>> ... ghastly C compilers (or, in Sun's case, a non-C compiler that pretended
>> to be a compiler so you had to use all sorts of trickery to determine whether
>> there was a real compiler present or not).

Libel. Once Upon a Time, Sun shipped something called /usr/ucb/cc which
was an abomination, but wouldn't be in any sane user's PATH. Oracle
ships gcc (which compiles a language called gcc, which only vaguely
resembles C, because the authors don't believe in the C standards), and
also has the Solaris Studio compiler suite, which is an excellent C
compiler (but doesn't know all of the bizarre dialects of gcc, e.g. 'a
?: b' *shudder*).

The real issue is usually inline assembly being in GNU format, which is
incompatible with all others. Oracle's /usr/ccs/bin/as doesn't always
understand all the GNUisms.

But none of this is relevant to the OP's issue.

--
Carson