[openssl-users] NULL EVP_PKEY

Vollaro, John john.vollaro at optum.com
Mon Apr 20 21:10:10 UTC 2015

I am having a problem reading a password protected private key file (.pem) using the OpenSSL library (programmatically).
I just get a NULL key returned.
I am using the OpenSSL 1.0.2a 19 Mar 2015 library in a Windows environment.

The code snippet as follows:

char *pemFileName = "C:\\Work\\mypemfile.pem";
       char passwordBuffer[12];
       strcpy(passwordBuffer, "pwd1234");

       OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms();
       BIO *bio_key = BIO_new( BIO_s_file() );
       BIO_read_filename( bio_key, pemFileName );
       EVP_PKEY *sigkey  = PEM_read_bio_PrivateKey( bio_key, NULL, NULL,(void *)passwordBuffer );

pemFileName is the (correct) path to the private key file.

I did read that calling OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms() loads OpenSSL's table of algorithms and was a fix to this issue.
In my case it has not helped.

Thanks for any help in soliving this issue.

John Vollaro
Phone 860.221.0129