[openssl-users] Openssl Performance with and without Cryptodev

Rahul Arora rahul1991.arora at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 11:00:01 UTC 2015

Hi Team,

I want to test openssl performance with and without using cryptodev
driver.I tried 2 things but my both cases are fluctuating.

*1. "Openssl speed test" with and without HW*

When i am running openssl speed test using the below command,

"openssl speed -evp aes-128-cbc"

*I am getting outstanding improved performance difference in openssl while
using with the cryptodev engine*.Below are the the numbers.

Without Cryptodev
===========

The 'numbers' are in 1000s of bytes per second processed.
 64B Bytes = 27056.32k
 256 Bytes = 28244.65k
 1024 Bytes = 28558.34k
 8192 Bytes = 28639.23k

With Cryptodev
===========

The 'numbers' are in 1000s of bytes per second processed.
 64B Bytes = 77508.52k
 256 Bytes = 428194.13k
 1024 Bytes = 1285770.97k
 8192 Bytes = 32507084.80k

*2. Openssl encryption test with and without HW*

I tried running this openssl command on my box:

date ; cat bigfile | openssl enc -e -aes-128-cbc -bufsize 8192 -pass
pass:testing123 >  /dev/null ; date

where 'bigfile' is some large file of > 2 GB in size.
Then i rerun it using

date ; cat bigfile | openssl enc *-engine cryptodev* -e -aes-128-cbc
-bufsize 8192 -pass pass:testing123 >  /dev/null ; date

and compare the results of the dates of 'before' and 'after'.

Below are the results i got.

*Without HW it takes  4secs only. **with cryptodev it takes 3min 15 secs*

Looks like in *first case cryptodev is increasing the performance but in
second case it is decreasing it.*

If some body knows this issue,can you please point me to the source code
path where i can tweak something to improve performance with cryptodev case.

I am using below versions of the sources.

*OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014*

*Cryptodev 1.6 version*

Please help me on this.

Thanks