[openssl-users] EVP-level load_key functions

Reinier Torenbeek reinier.torenbeek at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 18:50:09 UTC 2015

Thanks for your pointers.

I searched a bit further and noticed the existence of a STORE method and
the associated (un)register functions with an engine. Looking at its
API, it looks like it provides the key and certificate loading function
signatures that I need. Therefore, I was considering implementing (a
subset of) the STORE method functions in my engine.

From the README in crypto/store in master
<https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/master/crypto/store/README>, I
conclude that future versions will provide X509_STORE as a default
implementation for the store as well. Therefore, this seems the right
approach in the long run. I am currently using a 1.0.1 version.

However, I could not find any example of any engine implementing a
store. There do not seem to be any tests either. Can you/someone confirm
that implementing (a subset of) a store in my engine is a valid approach
at the moment (and in the future)?

Thanks,
Reinier