[openssl-users] OPENSSL_SYS_VOS meaning

David Luengo López dluengo at rti.com
Mon Aug 24 18:33:23 UTC 2015

Hello openssl-ers,

Anyone knows what does OPENSSL_SYS_VOS macro means?

I'm building OpenSSL (1.0.1l) for Vxworks and I when I ran some tests I got
some errors while generating a new session ID because it seems it is
running out of entropy in the entropy pool. I've been looking into the code
and I have observed that, in the end, my entropy pool is being filled by
calling the ssleay_rand_add() function in file crypto/rand/md_rand.c:

435 #if MD_DIGEST_LENGTH > 20
436 # error "Please adjust DUMMY_SEED."
437 #endif
438
439 #define DUMMY_SEED "...................." /* at least MD_DIGEST_LENGTH
*/
440             /* Note that the seed does not matter, it's just that
441              * ssleay_rand_add expects to have something to hash. */
*442             ssleay_rand_add(DUMMY_SEED, MD_DIGEST_LENGTH, 0.0);*

I don't know why the 0.0 parameter, since we are not adding anything here I
never get more entropy in the pool. Any explanation for this 0.0?

I realized then the RAND_poll() function in the crypto/rand/rand_unix.c
file:

426 #if defined(OPENSSL_SYS_VXWORKS)
427 int RAND_poll(void)
428     {
429     return 0;
430     }
431 #endif

I'm confused about this, but I also realized that, surrounded by #if
defined(OPENSSL_SYS_VOS) there is a nice implementation of the RAND_poll(),
so I built my library using it and now it seems to work. So, going back to
the main question, does anybody knows what is the OPENSSL_SYS_VOS and for
what is it used? And for some extra points, why that RAND_poll for
vxworks...

I'll keep investigating in all this.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,