[openssl-users] FIPS 140-2 X9.31 RNG transition expenses

R C Delgado rcdelgado05 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 15:41:19 UTC 2015

Thank you Steve,

This is very useful information.

>>I'm getting private queries about this (why is there is such reluctance
to discuss the delights of FIPS 140-2 in public?).

I've noticed technical questions related to private FIPS certifications
never get answered, at least not on this distribution list. I know mine was
never answered. Maybe that's why users are reluctant to post their
questions publicly and hope that a private email will get answered
for sure.
Obviously there are also company restrictions related to confidentiality to
consider, knowing that competitors and even customers are registered on the
distribution list too.

BTW, I had guessed why FIPS certification questions don't get answered:
it's all about funding, but thank you for explaining it in your email.
>>... FIPS validation business; it has gone
from economically marginal to unsustainable and as a result we'll
probably be shutting down the corporate entity that does the FIPS
validation work at the end of this year. I want to turn off the lights
while that business is still (barely) in the black...

I think a formal statement should be posted on the OpenSSL website, so that
all (FIPS) users know the level of support to expect.

Thank you all for you great work.