[openssl-users] CBC ciphers + TLS 1.0 protocol does not work in OpenSSL 1.0.2d

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Thu Dec 10 09:48:08 UTC 2015

On 09/12/15 23:13, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On 12/09/2015 05:04 PM, Matt Caswell wrote:
>>
>> On 09/12/15 11:44, Jayalakshmi bhat wrote:
>>> Hi Matt,
>>>
>>> I could build and execute the constant_time_test. I have attached the .c
>>> file and test results. 34 tests have failed. All failures are
>>> around constant_time_eq_8. This is the function I had mentioned in the
>>> earlier mails.
>> Not quite all. There is also a failure right at the beginning of your
>> log in constant_time_is_zero_8. Although it looks very similar to the
>> constant_time_eq_8 failure.
>>
>> As to the failure it is very strange. This is the function doing the test:
>>
>>  int test_binary_op_8(unsigned
>>                             char (*op) (unsigned int a, unsigned int b),
>>                             const char *op_name, unsigned int a,
>>                             unsigned int b, int is_true)
>> {
>>     unsigned char c = op(a, b);
>>     if (is_true && c != CONSTTIME_TRUE_8) {
>>         printf( "Test failed for %s(%du, %du): expected %u "
>>                 "(TRUE), got %u at line %d\n", op_name, a, b,
>> CONSTTIME_TRUE_8, c,__LINE__);
>>         return 1;
>>     } else if (!is_true && c != CONSTTIME_FALSE_8) {
>>         printf( "Test failed for  %s(%du, %du): expected %u "
>>                 "(FALSE), got %u at line %d\n", op_name, a, b,
>> CONSTTIME_FALSE_8, c,__LINE__);
>>         return 1;
>>     }
>> 	printf( "Test passed for %s(%du, %du): expected %u got %u at line %d
>> with %s\n", op_name, a, b, CONSTTIME_TRUE_8,
>> c,__LINE__,is_true?"TRUE":"FALSE");
>>     return 0;
>> }
>>

>> and the output we see in the log file is:
>>
>> Test failed for constant_time_eq_8(0u, 0u): expected 255 (TRUE), got
>> 4294967295 at line 85
>>
>> That big number in the output is actually 0x7FFFFFFF in hex. The
>> variable that it is printing here is "c" which is declared as an
>> "unsigned char".
>>
>> Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the C spec guarantee
>> that a "char" is 8 bits? In which case how can the value of "c" be
>> greater than 255?????
>
> C does not make such a guarantee, though recent-ish POSIX does.  (This
> system is a windows one, thought, right?)
>
> In any case, due to C's type promotion rules, it's very difficult to
> actually use types narrower than 'int', since integers get auto-promoted
> to int at integer conversion time.  This has extra-fun interactions with
> varargs functions, depending on the platform ABI in use.  (Always cast
> NULL to a pointer type when passing to a varargs function; this does
> cause real bugs.)  Since c is unsigned, it is odd to see it get promoted
> to (int)-1, since C type conversions are supposed to be
> value-preserving, but it is certainly possible that the windows ABI is
> doing something I don't expect.  Adjusting things so that the format
> specifier and the type passed to printf match (whether by casting c to
> int or qualifying the format specifier) might help.

Thanks Ben.

It's not 100% clear to me that we are dealing with a system where a char
has more than 8 bits, but it certainly seems like a plausible
explanation for what is going on. Especially when you look at the
implementation of constant_time_eq_8:

static inline unsigned char constant_time_eq_8(unsigned int a, unsigned
int b)
{
    return (unsigned char)(constant_time_eq(a, b));
}

The function "constant_time_eq" here returns an "unsigned int". The
whole purpose of "constant_time_eq_8" is to provide a convenience
function to create an 8 bit mask. If the number of bits in an unsigned
char > 8 then this code is going to fail!

Jaya - please could you try the attached patch to see if that resolves
the problem. Please try re-executing both your SSL/TLS tests and the
constant_time test. Let me know how you get on.

Thanks