[openssl-users] OCSP service dependant on time valid CRLs

Erwann Abalea Erwann.Abalea at docusign.com
Thu Dec 10 18:58:23 UTC 2015

Bonsoir,

The OCSP responder can respond « unknown » if it doesn’t know the status of the requested certificate. « Unknown » can generally not be used when the issuer is not known, because such a response is signed, and if the responder doesn’t know about the issuer, it can’t choose its own certificate to use to sign the response.

If your OCSP responder is CRL based, and the CRL is not valid (badly encoded, wrong signature, incomplete in scope, expired, whatever…), « unknown » is a correct answer. « revoked » is also a correct answer if an expired CRL is found declaring the requested certificate as revoked. « tryLater » is also a correct answer, even « internalError » if we consider the CRL as part of the internal state of the responder.

Erwann Abalea
erwann.abalea at docusign.com<mailto:erwann.abalea at docusign.com>