[openssl-users] CBC ciphers + TLS 1.0 protocol does not work in OpenSSL 1.0.2d

Andy Polyakov appro at openssl.org
Fri Dec 11 17:40:19 UTC 2015

On 12/11/15 17:41, Michael Wojcik wrote:
> [...]

Right, I've let practical myself talk too soon, sorry. Yet we do adhere
to ILP notion when describing platform requirement, so 8 is kind of
implied anyway. But in case one chooses to switch to CHAR_BIT. I want to
remind that not all platforms OpenSSL [still] supports are sufficiently
standard compliant. There are platforms that are *partially* compliant
or stuck between standards. But I'd say that it would be safe to assume
that if CHAR_BIT is not defined, then it's 8.

> (Also, such platforms are generally DSPs which are not likely to be
> able to run OpenSSL anyway.)

As fun fact, OpenSSL does run on TI C6000 series DSP and even optimized
for C64x+ and forward.

Anyway, this has little to do with problem at hand, as all assumptions
made implicitly or explicitly do apply to the platform in question. If
it turns to be compiler bug, then no argument about standard compliance
would justify it. And we'll face the usual dilemma, do we give in and
arrange a kludge (e.g. with #ifdef _MSC_VER), or send user to said
compiler vendor... Latter is kind of counter-productive, former is
<blank>...