[openssl-users] OCSP service dependant on time valid CRLs

daniel bryan danbryan80 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 19:55:34 UTC 2015

Thanks Erwann,

I appreciate  your point regarding the cost of a signing operation. I plan
to take action on this. Pointing out RFC 5280 in regards to what status it
will return when it fails to download a fresh CRL helped a lot. I now see
that revoked is not "a" correct response according to the logic defined in
the RFC. I do feel that since a certificate can not be unrevoked (with the
exception of "on hold") that if an OCSP service learns that serial #X was
once revoked with a reason code of (anything bit on hold), therefor it must
still be revoked.  Am I wrong in thinking this? Is it more safe to
completely disregard an expired CRLs?

--Dan