[openssl-users] How can I set up a bundle of commercial root CA certificates? (FAQ 16)

Ben Humpert ben at an3k.de
Mon Dec 14 11:39:39 UTC 2015

>> And we don't know on which client OP will have to use that pem file, thus
>> give advise that works on all clients, not just OpenSSL or GnuTLS or whatever.
>
> It is quite reasonable to give openssl-specific answers on the openssl-users mailing list, isn’t it?

All given answers are openssl-specific (OP uses OpenSSL to CREATE the
bundle but likely not to READ / USE the created bundle). You are
intelligent enough to understand the difference, aren't you?

The problem with Viktor Dukhovni is that he acts like THE AUTHORITY;
saying all other given answers are wrong (actually none is).
Additionally his solution is complicated and only works with OpenSSL.

Since Windows, Mac, GnuTLS, OpenSSL, Android, iPhone, etc. understand
a pkcs7 container and since nobody knows on what clients the bundle
will be used Walter Hs answer is the best solution.

You know encryption but obviously not that there is a world beyond
OpenSSL. And as I already wrote: If you want to use the bundle on
Windows you CANNOT simply concatenate all the certs into one certs.pem
because Windows (and various other Operating Systems) does not
understand that format.