[openssl-users] Engines mess

Dmitry Belyavsky beldmit at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 13:56:08 UTC 2015

Hello,

Could you explain the engine management in the openssl 1.0.2e?

I load an engine via openssl config specifying the path using the
dynamic_path directive and provide some engine-specific directives.

When I call the dgst command

dgst -sha1 -engine myengine -keyform engine -sign mykey -out signature

I see that the ENGINE_free function is not called after the setup_engine()
call from line 220 of dgst.c. It's the 4th call to the ENGINE_free
function, there was a call to ENGINE_free for my engine and 2 calls to
ENGINE_free to the dynamic engine.

Here I get the fields struct_ref = 4, funct_ref = 3, and it seems strange
to me.

It also seems to me that it should be a call to ENGINE_free at the end of
openssl app call to free the resources (e.g. engine error strings), but
there is no one.

Could you explain my mistakes?

Thank you!

--