[openssl-users] FIPS 140-2 library

Steve Marquess marquess at openssl.com
Sat Dec 19 12:40:44 UTC 2015

On 12/19/2015 07:20 AM, Marcos Bontempo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using the OpenSSL FIPS object module and I have to program a C code
> that sets FIPS 140-2 level 3. Is there a function in the C library that
> sets it? How can I set the FIPS protected directory, so I can store my
> private key?
>
> Any tip will be very helpful,
> Thanks.

Are you referring to a "FIPS 140-2 Level 3" validation?:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIPS_140-2#Level_3

The OpenSSL FIPS Object Module v.20 validations are Level 1, as is the
case with all software-only validations. The higher level validations
are much more closely tied to specific hardware devices.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation