[openssl-users] Doubt about the CMS_sign() function (in file openssl/crypto/cms/cms_smime.c)

Luiz Laranjeira luiz.laranjeira at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:12:32 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

My name is Luiz Laranjeira. I am an associate professor of software
engineering
with the University of Brasilia, Brazil.

I have a group that is developing a signer and validator according to RFC
5652
(CMS/PKCS#7) and we are using OpenSSL.

I would like to ask your help concerning a doubt we have:

Does the CMS_sign(...) function return a full CMS/PKCS#7 object coded in
ASN1 according to RFC 5652 or does it return simply the digital signature
field
(encrypted hash of the data plus the signed attributes) in ASN1 format?

I'd appreciate your assistance with this issue.

Best regards,

Luiz Laranjeira