[openssl-users] custom name attributes not sent with certificate

Florence, Jacques florencej at us.panasonic.com
Thu Feb 5 23:21:14 UTC 2015

I created a client certificate with custom name attributes:
In the openssl.cnf file, I addedunder section [ new_oids ] the line: myattribute=1.2.3.4
And under [ req_distinguished_name ] I added the line: myattribute = hello
If I use the openssl tool x509, I see that my new attribute appears in the name, after the email address.

However, when the certificate is sent to the server, the server cannot read this attribute.
I used wireshark and saw that my custome attribute is not sent with the rest of the name.
Why is that ?
Thanks
Jacques