[openssl-users] The evolution of the 'master' branch

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Tue Feb 10 22:48:36 UTC 2015

On 10/02/15 21:16, Tom Francis wrote:
> I think Jakob’s real concern (as expressed to me off-list a month or so ago) is that OpenSSL’s libcrypto will become entirely hidden.  I found several of his comments confusing until he mentioned that.  So, I think the fair question to be asking is:
>
> Is there any plan to make libcrypto go completely opaque, such that _only_ the APIs exposed in libssl will be available?

No.

There is a plan to make "most structures" opaque, with accessor
functions provided instead if required (in much the same way as we are
doing with libssl). The bn stuff has already had that treatment applied.

There is also a discussion about whether low-level cipher APIs should be
removed in favour of EVP or not. It's a discussion. No decisions or
consensus either way at the moment.