[openssl-users] OpenSSL 1.0.1l: X509_NAME_add_entry_by_txt broken?

Dave Thompson dthompson at prinpay.com
Thu Feb 12 00:28:09 UTC 2015

ASN1 strings set with the "generic" MBSTRING_ types that are for
known/standard OID-value pairs are constrained by tbl_standard in
asn1/a_strnid.c. A few like Country are forced to Printable as per standard.

Those standardized as DirectoryString are anded with a "default mask" then
a_mbstr.c chooses the "lowest" type supporting the characters in the value.
Which allowed *two* of the eight single-byte types (Teletex and Printable).
This is mentioned, very briefly, in the manpage for X509_NAME_add_entry.

1.0.1h in 2014 and later changed this mask to force UTF8 only, I believe
to implement the MUST UTF8 for DirectoryString's in 2459 and 3280,
even though 5280 in 2008 had relaxed it to MUST UTF8 OR Printable,
I suspect to be safe for implementations of the older standard.

req and ca override this by calling ASN1_STRING_set_default_mask_asc
with the (string) value of string_mask in the configuration if specified,
and
the supplied openssl.cnf back to 1.0.0 in 2009 set utf8only for those utils.
There is also a numeric version ASN1_STRING_set_default_mask .

HTH.