[openssl-users] Illegal Instruction on AMD with avx without XOP

openssl-users at eldondev.com openssl-users at eldondev.com
Thu Feb 19 06:30:43 UTC 2015

Hello,
I am running on openssl 1.0.2 and I am getting an "Illegal Instruction"
when attempting to download a certain file with wget. It also occurs
with curl. I have disassembled the code around the bug, and it appears
that I am reaching this line:
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/master/crypto/aes/asm/aesni-sha256-x86_64.pl#L147

It may perhaps be due to the fact that I am using an AMD machine with
the AVX extensions [1], but without XOP or AVX2, which would not enter any
of the branches. I don't work in assembler often, so I may be way off
base here, if so please enlighten me. If more information would be
useful, or if I should attempt to create a bug in request tracker,
please just let me know.

Thanks very much,
Eldon

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_accelerated_processing_unit_microprocessors#.22Kabini.22.2C_.22Temash.22_.282013.2C_28_nm.29