[openssl-users] Max size on ASN1_item_d2i_bio()?

Dave Thompson dthompson at prinpay.com
Sun Feb 22 00:33:17 UTC 2015

Some other possibilities:

If the bio is memBIO or fileBIO its input size is known before you start,
at least if it contains only one root item. More generally you could layer
a simple filter BIO that limits total reads to a chosen amount like 1M,
probably measured from a CTRL operation  -- or a more complex one
that looks dynamically at your memory-used and/or memory-available
and chooses whether/when to force EOF, but that would be dependent
on your particular platform and not portable.

Alternatively or in addition, OpenSSL allows you to provide your own
malloc/realloc/free implementations used instead of the standard ones.
But these are used for *all* OpenSSL heap allocations, so you might need
some care to count the space used "for" or at least during a d2i
as opposed to other purposes and times.